Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Kilgore Futch and the Motorcycle

Kilgore Futch and the Motorcycle

Kilgore and his brother Boo Hutch were two of the roughest customers in the Dismal Swamps. Both wore their hair long and combed back into a 'Ducktail'. They always had a pack of Bull Durham tobacco in their shirt pockets and the string with the round paper tab was always hanging on the outside of that pocket. They wore heavy engineers boots that were shod with steel toe and heel taps and the boys called them 'stompin' boots'. Their shirtsleeves would be rolled up two laps and you would never find them without a toothpick stuck in the comer of their mouths. If a moonshine still got robbed or a hog stolen or the general store broken into, the High Sheriff always paid them a visit first, but he always had 2 or 3 deputies with him when he went.
One hot summer day, Kilgore came riding up Main Street in Selma, NC on one of the prettiest motorcycles I have ever seen and was it throwing up a nice plume of dust behind him. He revved the motor and kicked it into a slide and skidded right up to the boardwalk in front of the General Store. What part of the motorcycle that wasn't chromed was pure, snow white. It had a 2 cycle, upright motor on it and had 2 spark plugs even though both of them were on top of the only cylinder on the motor. It was some kinda pretty and would do a top speed of 45 mph. This was in the days when the national speed limit was only 35. On the side of the gas tank was emblazoned "Simplex Service Cycle" with the wings of eagles sprouting behind those words. A belt ran from the motor up to a clutch assembly and then a bigger belt went from that clutch to a big pulley that went around the rim of the rear wheel. I wanted that motorcycle some kinda bad.
About 3 months later I was over to the roadhouse and a few of us boys were in the back room, tugging on a little shine and playing poker. About 10 that night here come Kilgore. He joined in the game and it won't very long till it was just him and me playing stud poker, no limit (which won't very much for us). We had a couple of good hands between us and finally up came one hand in which Kilgore was showing 3 of a kind and I was showing an Ace high spade flush. Kilgore bet a couple of times and on the last card I hit it with everything I had. Kilgore studied long and hard and finally in the face of that flush he folded. As I was raking in the pot I let my hold card "accidentally" turn over and it showed the 3 of hearts. I had won that pot on a busted flush. Kilgore got really quiet and I could see that he was about as mad as I have ever seen him get without someone getting hurt. He didn't say a word and we kept playing. About 7:00 am I was starting to get a little tuckered but Kilgore would not stop. Then on the next hand he was showing 4 cards to a straight and was betting pretty heavy. I was showing 4 cards to a diamond flush and didn't raise any, but wouldn't fold. On the last card I placed a modest bet and Kilgore called and raised by sliding all of his money into the middle of the table. I called, then I raised by putting my Winchester 30-30 on top of the pile. Kilgore had to call or fold. He got a thoughtful look on his face and slowly slid his wallet out and took out the registration paper to the Simplex motorcycle. I nodded my acceptance and with a chortle he turned over an Ace to give him a high straight. The boys standing around all sighed and it looked like my Winchester was going home with Kilgore this day. With fingers that trembled ever so slightly, I turned over the Ace of Diamonds for a straight flush. If you would ever like to see that Simplex Motorcycle, jest stop on by.  It’s as pretty as the day I got it.
Bob Gurkin

No comments: