Monday, September 1, 2008

The Headless Train Conductor

The Headless Train Conductor

Getting close to Halloween brings back memories of when I was a young boy of 12 in North Carolina, I had heard tales of a ghost train that would appear on a certain stretch of railroad track close to our home, on the rare moonless night. And of the train conductor who had lost his head many years ago in a freak accident - and who's spirit was constantly searching for his head.

On one Summer night I was walking along that same railroad track - I used to walk up to the local roller skating rink to see my girlfriend a few times a week - not too far from our house. On this particular night, it was as black as ink - no moon, but millions of stars in the clear sky. As I was walking, I remember the hairs on the back of my head began to raise, as I sensed that something was not right - something was coming towards me. I instinctively jumped off the railroad tracks - like I always did many other times when a train was coming. But this time - there was no train coming - at least not like any train that I had seen before.

From the distance, I could see the beginnings of a light coming towards me - like the head lamp of a distant train. But this light was different - the light swung from side to side - not like the motionless light of a train engine. I listened for the sound of the engine - but there was no sound, only the sounds of the night - millions and millions of crickets and other various insects that fill the night in the Summer. All of a sudden it was completely silent. The swinging light got closer and closer, brighter and brighter - I had heard the legend of the headless conductor who had tragically lost his head in a horrible train accident and who was eternally looking for it to reclaim - but I didn't believe it - until now. As the light bore down on me, I covered my face with my arms - and I prayed - like I have never prayed before. I looked at it as long as I could - I never saw the headless conductor, but I saw that swinging light coming at me - swinging very hard, from the right to the left and back - and as bright as the sunlit day! The train/light went past me at an incredible rate of speed - it was over in an instant - and when I looked up, it was completely gone. All I could hear was the pounding of my heart. And then the sounds of the Summer night again.

I sat there for what seemed like hours - my heart continuing to pound. Until finally I rallied myself together and continued my journey to see my girlfriend - who, of course, did not really believe me - even though she had also heard the stories. As no one else did. But it was real - as real as you and I, my friend. I will never, ever forget that scary Summer night in North Carolina.

I truly believe in the legends, and in ghosts!
- Rick Gurkin

No comments: